Sunday, August 28, 2011

Chance meeting with a Train


It took me 4 days to get this shot of the Downeaster Train...I was by chance actually walking the tracks to a bridge because it had some really cool Graffiti. Once I herd the train coming I was blown away by the power of this beast and how loud the horn was when the conductor used it to tell me to get the hell out of the way..

It was at that point that I realized I want to get this train going by me with the front of the train still and the rest showing motion or speed. So the next day I was further down the tracks all positioned to get the shot...oh boy the excitement I had once I could hear the train coming from a far...see it has to cross two intersections before it got to me so it really whales on the horn as it comes through...

Ok I'm now laying down next to the tracks. I would say about 5 feet away positioned, already having my focus point locked, switched to manual and I'm ready. "Game on Train"... bring it to me I thought...Well the conductor didn't see me at first I think cause I was lying down (first mistake) and when he did he hit the brake a bit, sparks flew, sirens blared, my camera fell over on the tripod from the wind of the train, and I crapped my pants.
Rats, I missed the shot I thought, but holy cow was that exciting!!! I couldn't wait to do it again. The next day I was in position again, this time I was not lying down next to the track, but my camera was on a tripod ready to go and I was off to the side with a remote....The train is coming...its coming...its here...the conductor sees me again, but doesn't get nervous this time as he hits the horn. The train goes by, I strike the remote with precision and grace :) and down my camera goes again from the wind of the train as it passes by...I got the shot but its as the camera is falling and a great shot of rocks and a train track iron nail..

Last chance I thought...Im not giving up, but I'm going to have to hold my camera for this shot..its the only way. Next day I do it all over again, you could have set your watch to the train as it is coming right on time...I'm sitting indian style tripod and camera in the middle of my legs and I'm holding on for dear life, but damn it I'm going to get this shot!! The train is coming I see when I want to shoot, I do in succsesion with multiple shots and as the train is going by the wind blows my hat off, the smell of diesel fuel is strong its loud and so exciting...I look up and the conductor is looking at me...he gets it..he hits the horn with several short blasts as if to say hey buddy....he is smiling and waves as he goes by...I got the shot, and an experience I'll never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment